I recently bought a Paperchase scrapbook album to use as an art journal because I want to do more sketching and playing around with paint and ideas.
I also found that I was trying to complete a finished painting every week without spending much time sketching or having fun in my other journals.
So decided to start a new journal for 2016!!
I decided to get the Paperchase scrapbook album as the pages are quite thick and shouldn’t be prone to buckling with very wet mixed media, the square format is nice and will be interesting to use over a 2 page spread, plus the paper cut cover is very pretty.
I tested the pages with a variety of paints to see how well the paper stood up to different applications and made a video below.
Phew! I just managed to get January’s calendar art journal page uploaded in time :). This month I tried to create flowers in an x-ray style using both transparent and opaque acrylic paint. The technique involved creating wispy smoke-like paint strokes on a dark background of black gesso.
I have a process video below the photo.
Next time I will be showing you my new art journal for 2016, I’ve decided to use a Paperchase scrapbook album and will be testing it with a variety of different paints :).
This was a painting made for a Willowing Fabulous Faces class on limited colour portraits.
I worked up a sketch that had pretty quirky facial proportions then added hair (I need to work on hair) and other embellishments including a rose and a scrolling design which is now mostly covered over.
I started by creating a background with watercolour and Inktense blocks (Love them!) then used my favourite stencil with gloss medium which created a resist.
I have added a fast forward video below.
I will have a new video to share with you very soon, it will be a step by step painting (with voiceover) of an xrayed flower for my January art journal calendar page. :)
I’ve been working on this picture of a limited colour portrait which was part of a Willowing, Fabulous Faces lesson.
It’s going quite slowly as the facial proportions are a bit quirky and I had to use neutrals in order to attain the values needed for shading.
I used a stencil and clear gloss gel in the upper right corner then covered it with paint using a baby wipe, the decorative detail in the upper left is copied from a decorated lock I saw in the Victoria and Albert museum.
I do a lot of work with video, which I usually keep on a separate blog, but thought I’d share a couple of things here too.
Here is a showreel I made for Rex features, they are a celebrity photo agency who have recently teamed up with Shutterstock
And this is a British Movietone News showreel that I made for a recent partnership with ITN Source.
A bowie-esque image I made a while ago…, Bowie had a huge impact on me, seeing him at Live Aid, watching ‘The man who fell to earth’ in a university library I used to sneak into whilst at school, hearing ‘Heroes’ playing during the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics. He is a real icon and someone whose style, energy and nerve helped to found a generation of creative risk takers.
I made a fast forward painting video of a woman’s back in acrylic and water-soluble crayon.